How to Clean a Bathtub
Don’t we just love baths! The hot water with the essential oils and fragrant soaps and calming music soothes every inch of your body. To have that, you’d want to keep your bathtubs clean every time. With frequent use of the bathtubs, you may start noticing some discoloration or spots that do not go easily with just water. Bathtubs are a good source for bacterial growth, and if not cleaned, they could lead to skin diseases. So we must clean it as frequently as possible. There are many products you will find in the market that are meant to clean bathtubs and keep your bathtubs clean and safe.
Materials Used for Cleaning
- Bath scrubber or brush: This is a must to clean any bathtub. You can either use a manual brush or an electronic brush. If using a manual brush, make sure the bristles are soft so that it does not damage the surface of the tub
- Detergent: Choose a detergent that is meant for cleaning bathtubs. Many products are available in the market, and it is important to read the instructions carefully before use.
- Bleach: A small amount of bleach added to the detergent can help remove any tough stains from the bathtub surface.
- Water: This is THE MOST essential ingredient for cleaning a bathtub.
How Do You Clean a Bathtub?
Cleaning a bathtub is not as difficult as it may seem. All you need is some patience and the right products. There are different types of bathtubs made from different materials, so you will have to use various cleaning agents and techniques for each type.
Here are some tips on how to clean a bathtub:
One of the most worked methods is spraying the tub’s surface with water and vinegar and letting the solution sit for some time, say about 15 minutes, and then wipe it down with a microfibre cloth, wash the tub and wipe it again. You can also use a gentle scrub with detergent water or detergent solution to clean the tub.
Removal of Mild Stains
Bathtubs may have mild stains which may not go with regular washing, so what you can do is:
• Wet the tub first, lightly spray some water around, and then sprinkle some baking powder on the tub.
• Then add Vinegar-water solution to the baking soda, and let it sit for some time.
• Scrub the tub with a brush, and then rinse with water.
• Bathtub rings are also a pain to get rid of, but you can use a pumice stone to scrub it off, or you can sprinkle some baking powder on it and then use a brush to scrub it off.
Removal of tough stains
These tough stains may seem like they’re tough to get out. But they aren’t that difficult to remove. Getting out stains is relatively easy if you clean it right.
The following tips can remove hard stains:
• Make a paste for cleaning your bathtub with 1 part hydrogen peroxide and two parts baking soda or cream of tartar.
• Make sure you cover the entire tub with paste and rub it in with a sponge or a gentle scrub. Let it sit for 10 minutes, and then rinse thoroughly.
• Repeat the process if the stain hasn’t gone yet.
Removal Hard water stains
This is one of the toughest stains to remove from any surface.
• You will need to use a commercial cleaner or make a paste with 1 part vinegar and two parts borax.
• Apply the mixture you made on the stain and let it sit for about 10 minutes, then scrub it off with a sponge or brush.
• Repeat this process if the stain is still there.
Another process is:
• Dip a thin cloth or paper towels in full-strength vinegar
• Apply the cloth on the stain and leave it there for an hour or two.
• Make a vinegar and baking soda paste while the vinegar dipped cloth removes the stain.
• After 2 hours, apply the paste and scrub the stain off.
Removal of rust stains
For a bathtub with rust stains, you can use a commercial cleaner, or you will need to make a paste with 1 part lemon juice and two parts cream of tartar.
• Rub the paste on the stain and let it sit for 10 minutes.
• Rinse it off with water and then scrub the stain off.
• Repeat this process if necessary.
Another process for this is:
• Sprinkle borax powder on the rust stains
• Cut a lemon in half and rub it on the sprinkled area till it forms a paste
• Then let the paste sit for about 15-30 mins and rinse the tub
Types of Bathtubs and it’s Cleaning
There are different bathtubs made from different materials like acrylic, enamel, cast iron, and porcelain. Each type needs to be cleaned differently.
An acrylic tub is easy to clean as it doesn’t absorb dirt and stains. You can use a soft cloth or sponge to wipe it down. You can also use a gentle cleanser or soap to clean it.
You can sprinkle baking soda in the tub and let it sit for a good 15-20 mins and scrub it off gently with a cloth and rinse with warm water. If it’s tough stains, fill the tub with hot water and vinegar, let the solution sit to remove all dirt and debris, then let the water drain. Lightly scrub the tub and rinse.
Porcelain – Enamel Tub
This type of tub is very durable and easy to clean, but it can be scratched, so you need to be careful while cleaning it. You can use a soft cloth or sponge to clean it and a gentle cleanser or soap.
You can also make a bucket with warm water, ammonia, and baking soda. For stubborn stains, start by dusting them throughout the tub with salt and lemon juice, then leave them to sit for up to 1 hour. Make a salt and lemon juice paste in the stain. Using a cloth or a soft sponge, scrub the tub thoroughly. After that, rinse the tub with warm water.
Cast Iron Tub
This type of tub is very sturdy and heavy, but it’s also challenging to clean as it can rust and corrode. You need to use a commercial cleaner or make a paste with 1-part trisodium phosphate (TSP) and two parts water. Apply the mixture on the rust stain and let it sit for a few minutes. Scrub it off with a brush or sponge and rinse it well.
You can also make a mixture of 1 part vinegar and two parts water. Apply it on the stain and let it sit for about 10 minutes, then scrub the stain off with a brush or sponge. Rinse it well.
If there is mold or mildew present in your bathtub, you will need to do a deep cleaning. First, remove all the items from the tub and discard them. Make a mixture of 1 part bleach and ten parts water. Apply it on the surface and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. Scrub it off with a brush or sponge and rinse it well.
If there is still mold or mildew present, you can make a paste with 1 part baking soda and two parts water. Apply the paste on the surface and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. Scrub it off with a brush or sponge and rinse it well. You can also use a commercial cleaner to remove the mold or mildew.
Do’s and Don’ts
• Do use a soft cloth or sponge to clean the bathtub.
• Do use a gentle cleanser or soap.
• Do sprinkle baking soda in the tub and let it sit for a good 15-20 mins.
• Don’t use harsh chemicals or cleaners as they can damage the bathtub’s surface.
• Don’t use a rough brush or scrubber as it can scratch the surface of the bathtub.
• Don’t leave the mixture in the tub for too long.
• Don’t use steel wool to scrub the tub.
So, these are some of how you can clean your bathtub. Make sure to read the instructions of the cleaning products carefully before cleaning and take all the necessary precautions. Also, remember to rinse the tub well after cleaning. Having a clean bathtub is healthy and makes you feel like having a bath in it. So, make sure you clean your bathtub regularly and save yourself from any health hazards.
What is the best way to clean a bathtub?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best way to clean a bathtub depends on what kind of tub you have. For instance, an acrylic tub can be cleaned easily with a soft cloth or sponge, while a cast iron tub requires more scrubbing with a brush or sponge. You can also use a commercial cleaner for deep cleaning.
What are some of the things I should avoid while cleaning my bathtub?
Some of the things you should avoid while cleaning your bathtub include using harsh chemicals or cleaners, using a rough brush or scrubber, leaving the mixture on the tub for too long, and using steel wool to scrub the tub. These things can damage the surface of the bathtub or leave scratches.
What are some of the common ways to clean a bathtub?
Some of the common ways to clean a bathtub include using a soft cloth or sponge, a gentle cleanser or soap, and sprinkling baking soda in the tub. You can also use a commercial cleaner for deep cleaning. Remember to read the instructions for the cleaning products carefully before using them.
Do I need to rinse the bathtub after cleaning it?
Yes, it would be best if you rinsed the bathtub well after cleaning it. Failure to do so can cause streaks and residues to form on the surface of the tub.
How often should you clean your bathtub?
You should clean your bathtub regularly, depending on the type of tub you have and how dirty it gets. Acrylic tubs can be cleaned every week or two, while cast iron tubs may need to be cleaned every month or so.